International Students

9. Welcome to Montreal

Last update: June 2, 2023


Requirements upon entry to Canada:

  • You must possess all the necessary documentation to study in Canada:
    -Students in a diploma-granting program and two-terms exchange students: passport, CAQ for studies, study permit approval, temporary resident visa (TRV) or electronic travel authorization (eTA).  
    -Students on a one-term exchange: passport and TRV or eTA if you are coming as a visitor OR passport and a study permit and TRV or eTA if you are coming as a student (more details here).
  • You have to hold a valid Offer of Admission for Fall 2023 and either be registered to that term or intend to register.

Start of classes and deadline to arrive in Canada: 

  • On-campus welcome activities begin during the week of August 20 and classes start on August 28. We advise you to arrive two to four weeks before the start of classes, in order to give you time to settle in Montréal.  This will help you begin your program in the best conditions possible.  
  • You have until September 12 to enter Canada, in order to maintain your registration for the Fall term. No exception will be made to that date. If you cannot make it on time to Canada, you will need to defer the onset of your program, if your admission is still valid for the next term.

The final decision on whether or not you will be admitted to Canada as a student rests with the border services officer you will meet, even if your application has previously been approved by a visa office.  The officer must understand that you are a bona fide student.  You can demonstrate this by presenting the following documents:

We recommend that you have the printed version of your documents on hand to facilitate the processing of your application. 

Documents to be provided to the Registrar's Office upon arrival

Do not forget to send a copy of your immigration documents to the Registrar's Office upon your arrival in Canada.  Consult the New Student Journey according to your program for more information.

Students who are eligible to an exemption from the mandatory insurances for international students (ASHEE) must also send proof of their exemption to the Registrar's Office.