International Students

1. Initial Requests for Documents From Outside Canada

This website has no legal value; it is a summary of the procedures in effect, compiled to the best of our knowledge on the date it was prepared. This information is subject to change without notice. The laws and regulations of Québec and Canada, as well as the information found on the MIFI and IRCC websites take precedence over this website.
Updated: 2023-03-24

As soon as you receive your letter of admission, you should begin immigration proceedings to obtain the authorizations required for all international students. These procedures can be lengthy (3 to 6 months on average) and can vary according to your personal situation.  Note that immigration procedures can be started with a conditional offer of admission.

ATTENTION! Most people choose to do their own immigration procedures.  If you decide to hire the services of a professional, make sure that he or she is authorized to offer immigration services in Quebec.  This includes lawyers who are members of a Canadian Bar Association as well as immigration consultants who are recognized by the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration.  

Be aware that you remain responsible for the information contained in your application, even if you hire a professional to complete it. 


immigration procedures from outside canada:

  1. You need to hold a passport that, if possible, is valid throughout the entire duration of your studies.
  2. Learn how to request a  Certificat d’acceptation du Québec for studies (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration (MIFI- Québec's Immigration Ministry), what forms need to be filled out, and what supporting documents are required with your application.  Processing time: 25 working days (average)
  3. Learn how to request a Study Permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), what forms need to be filled out, and what supporting documents are required with your application. Processing time: 4 weeks to 4 months (average), depending on where the application will be processed.
  4. You will also need a Temporary Resident Visa OR a Electronic Travel Authorization to enter Canada
  5. If you will experience a layover in another country, a Transit Visa from that country may also be required

These procedures vary according to the length of your stay in Canada and according to your nationality. Note that specific conditions apply to those with a diplomatic status in Canada. 


Studying without a CAQ or Study Permit

This section is especially intended for exchange students coming for one term, or with other special circumstances.  Learn about the situations where you can be exempted from a CAQ and/or a Study Permit