General information

Alumni background and contributions

BACKGROUND

 The École des sciences appliquées aux arts et à l’industrie was founded in 1873 to meet the needs of the industrial revolution. Officially recognized by the provincial government three years later, the teaching establishment was then named École Polytechnique de Montréal. The first francophone engineering school in America, Polytechnique was annexed to the Arts Faculty of Université Laval in 1887. In 1895, Polytechnique was incorporated and given administrative and financial autonomy based on a provincial charter. When Université de Montréal obtained a charter in 1920, École Polytechnique was affiliated with the university without giving up its autonomous status.

 École Polytechnique de Montréal is the largest and one of the oldest engineering schools in Canada. With 220 professors and 800 employees, Polytechnique teaches some 6,000 students at the undergraduate, master’s and PhD levels and in the continuing education programs. More than 900 diplomas are awarded each year, including certificates, thanks to the combined efforts of the various staff categories. 

 Polytechnique also offers the widest variety of engineering specializations (11) and conducts nearly one-quarter of all university research in engineering in Québec. With its 58 research units, Polytechnique’s research continues to be among the most active in Canada. Polytechnique has agreements with 250 teaching establishments on four continents, thereby attracting the best students from around the world. École Polytechnique is, and will always be, the accepted reference in engineering in Québec.

 

© École Polytechnique de Montréal
Find Peoble or units | Site plan | Key word search | Conditions(*) this link leads to a section in french.