Department of Civil, Geological and Mining Engineering
Research interests and affiliations
- Geotechnical engineering (rock, soil and backfill mechanics; foundations)
- Numerical modeling (mining and civil)
- Analytical solution development (mining and civil)
- Stability analysis of slopes
- Stress estimation in backfilled openings (backfilled stope, civil trenches, powder silos)
- Elasto-plastic analysis of underground structures (tunnels, boreholes, drifts and stopes).
- 1002 Geotechnical engineering (including engineering geology)
- 1401 Mining engineering
- 1403 Rock mechanics
Dr. Li is a registered engineer in Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ). He obtained a bachelor degree and a M.Sc.A. degree both in mining engineering in China, and a doctorate degree in France.
Dr. Li has been working in geotechnical engineering for many years. He passed about 4 years as post-doc and 7 years as Research Associate in geomechanics at Polytechnique Montréal. After then, he passed two years in Genivar (now WSP) as consulting engineer in geotechnics. From 2010 to 2012, he was an Associate Professor in geotechnics at École de technologie supérieure (ÉTS). Since 2012, he becomes Associate Professor in mining engineering at Polytechnique Montréal.
Dr Li is interested in several fields in geotechnical engineering (rock and soil mechanics). Since last ten years, he is particularly active in research on mine backfilled stopes for estimating the stresses in backfilled stopes and pressures on backfill barricades, sizing barricades made of waste rock, and assessing the required strength of cemented backfill with exposed faces. Below is a list of recent journal publications (not yet included in the official list of Polytechnique Montreal):
- Jahanbakhshzadeh, A., Aubertin, M., Li, L. (2017) Three-dimensional stress state in inclined backfilled stopes obtained from numerical simulations and a new closed-form solution. Canadian Geotechnical Journal (accepted with major changes, April 2017).
- Liu, G.S., Li, L., Yang, X.C., Guo, L.J. (2017) Required strength estimation of a cemented backfill with the front wall exposed and back wall pressured. International Journal of Mining and Mineral Engineering (accepted, July 2017).
- Sobhi, M.A., Li, L., Aubertin, M. (2017) Numerical investigation of the earth pressure coefficient along the central line of backfilled stopes. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 54: 138–145.
- MIN3116 Underground Mining Methods (Person in charge and teacher)
- MIN4966 Integrator Projet 4 (Person in charge, coordinator and teacher)
- GML6003 Seminar of geomaterials (in part)
- GML6603 Mining Backfill (Coordinator since winter 2013)
- GML6953B/GML8301 Underground mining methods with backfill (created and given for ths first time in Winter 2017).
Méritas. Pr. Li is delighted to be awarded the Meritas at the "Soirée Méritas" held on April 4, 2016.
Supervision at Polytechnique
Post-doctoral fellowship (1)
Yang, Pengyu. Study of the hydrogeotechnical behavior of in-pit tailings and their interaction with the contact structures.
Jaouhar, El Mustapha. Development of analytical and numerical solutions to evaluate the stress distribution in backfilled stopes and on barricades.
Mahdavi, Ali. Characterisation of hydromechanical behaviour of mine waste rock.
Sobhi, Mohamed Amine. Mechanism, prevention and control of rockbursts in underground mines.
Zheng, Jian. Numerical, Analytical and Experimental Studies of the Self-Weight Consolidation of the Backfill in Mine Stopes for Barricade Design.
Master (thesis) (3)
Dalcé, Jean Béket. Study on the hydro-geotechnical behaviour of hydraulic backfill.
Pagé, Philippe. Numerical and analytical studies on cemented backfill exposed at the base.
Tardif-Drolet, Marie. Valorization of mines wastes out mine sites.
Ph.D. Thesis (3)
- Jahanbakhshzadeh, A. (2016). Analyse du comportement géomécanique des remblais miniers dans des excavations souterraines inclinées (Ph.D. Thesis, École Polytechnique de Montréal). Retrieved from https://publications.polymtl.ca/2259/
- Yang, P. (2016). Investigation of the geomechanical behavior of mine backfill and its interaction with rock walls and barricades (Ph.D. Thesis, École Polytechnique de Montréal). Retrieved from https://publications.polymtl.ca/2388/
- Falaknaz, N. (2014). Analysis of the Geomechanical Behavior of Two Adjacent Backfilled Stopes Based on Two and Three Dimensional Numerical Simulations (Ph.D. Thesis, École Polytechnique de Montréal). Retrieved from https://publications.polymtl.ca/1610
Master's Thesis (4)
- Pagé, P. (2018). Évaluation numérique de la stabilité des chantiers : contraintes élastiques autour des chantiers et résistance nécessaire des piliers-semelles en remblai cimenté (Master's Thesis, École Polytechnique de Montréal). Retrieved from https://publications.polymtl.ca/3180/
- Oulbacha, Z. (2014). Analyse numérique de la stabilité des piliers-dalles en remblai cimenté : une vérification des modèles de Mitchell (Master's Thesis, École Polytechnique de Montréal). Retrieved from https://publications.polymtl.ca/1584
- Sobhi, M.A. (2014). Analyse numérique visant l'évaluation du coefficient de pression des terres et des contraintes dans des chantiers remblayés au-dessus d'un pilier-dalle (Master's Thesis, École Polytechnique de Montréal). Retrieved from https://publications.polymtl.ca/1575
- El Mkadmi, N. (2012). Simulations du comportement géotechnique des remblais dans les chantiers miniers: effets du drainage et de la consolidation (Master's Thesis, École Polytechnique de Montréal). Retrieved from https://publications.polymtl.ca/781