To be eligible for the scholarship, the candidate must, as of the application submission deadline at her home institution, be:
- A woman
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- A graduate of an engineering program at a Canadian university and have completed her bachelor's degree in December 2017, or be in the process of completing it in May or August 2018
- Enrolled, or in the process of enrolling, in a graduate studies program in engineering (master’s or PhD) to begin the year after receiving her bachelor’s degree*.
*As of September 1, 2018, the candidate must be enrolled in a graduate studies program in engineering (master's or PhD) and have sent proof of enrolment to Polytechnique Montréal at email@example.com
The candidate must submit her application portfolio to the department responsible for this comptetition at her home institution (where the candidate completed her bachelor's degree) for the first step of preselection. This institution is responsible for organizing the internal competition to choose a finalist, and for sending the finalist’s portfolio to the Order of the White Rose scholarship selection committee.
The candidate’s submission* must contain, in the following order:
- the identification form
- a letter of motivation (max. 1 page)
- a curriculum vitae
- a detailed description of achievements and social engagements (max. 2 pages)
- the most recent official transcript
- an official proof of enrolment in a graduate studies program (master’s or PhD)
- a letter supporting your application written by someone in authority (professor, department, director, etc.)
- any other document deemed relevant. (max. 2 pages)
*The portfolio can be written in either English or French.
Instructions for the home institution:
Only one application portfolio may be preselected at your institution with the following stipulations:
- The candidate selected must have completed her bachelor's degree at your institution
- A letter of support signed by the director of the institution must accompany the finalist’s portfolio
- The complete portfolio must be sent as a PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org
To be selected to receive the Polytechnique Montréal Order of the White Rose scholarship, the candidate must demonstrate outstanding merit in the following three areas:
- academic record
- technical achievements
- social commitments
The Polytechnique Montréal Order of the White Rose scholarship aims to reward the full body of work by a student during her undergraduate studies, as well as her outstanding commitment and, in so doing, to call attention to the important role of women in the field of engineering. The recipient is a source of inspiration for her peers and embodies the coming generation in the eyes of the Canadian scientific and engineering community.
Academic record (30%)
The candidate will be evaluated on the excellence of her academic record and must have maintained a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0/4.0 (or equivalent). Scholarships and other support received as well as the duration of previous studies will also be analyzed.
Technical achievements (35%)
The candidate must demonstrate that she has contributed to various technical achievements during her university career. Technical achievements are defined as those pertaining to any scientific, technological or professional activity other than those recognized by the diploma.
Social commitments (35%)
The candidate must demonstrate that she has taken part in various activities other than academic and technical during her university studies. Examples of such non-technical achievements include any social, cultural and sports endeavour, as well as any project that promotes communication, leadership, involvement with the community and/or women, and international outreach initiatives.
Descriptions of activities must be sufficiently detailed to allow the members of the selection committee to evaluate all aspects of the candidate’s personality.
One scholarship of $30,000 (non-renewable)
- For candidates: The deadline for submitting your application portfolio is determined by your home university, which is the institution where you completed your bachelor's degree. To find out your university's deadline, contact the department responsible for scholarships.
- For universities: The department responsible for co-ordinating this competition in the participating institution has until September 1, 2018, to e-mail the finalist's application portfolio to the Polytechnique Montréal Order of the White Rose selection committee at email@example.com.