Research areas description
The (CM)2 is active in the following fields :
- metal matrix composites: understanding and fundamental phenomena and utilization;
- powder metallurgy: powder compressibility improvement, development of alloys with a better machining behavior;
- zinc galvanized and galvannealed coatings: fundamental and applied research;
- integrated microscopy: the Centre is developing software for the acquisition, treatment and quantification of spectrum images based on both electron energy loss spectroscopy and X-ray spectrometry. Researchers are currently at work on a new integrated image-analysis system.
- L'Espérance, Gilles | Director
2 transmission electron microscopes equipped with an electron energy loss spectrometer and X-Ray energy dispersive spectrometer; 2 scanning electron microscopes equipped with X-ray energy dispersive spectrometers; Auger scanning electron microscope; image analysis system; 2 X-ray diffractometers and a variety of equipment for specimen preparation (ion beam thinning, electropolishing ultramicrotomy).
External sources of funding
NSERC, Alcan, Oerlikon, Domfer, Précitech, Noranda