Borrowing from other libraries
The ILL service enables you to borrow documents that are not available in the Polytechnique Library. You can obtain books and articles from other libraries, with an average three-week delay to receive the items.
The Library subsidizes the cost of the ILL loan up to $15, which covers 95% of all requests. Staff will contact the person requesting any document that exceeds this cost.
Items must be retrieved at the Library’s Circulation Desk and returned on the date indicated.
Articles are delivered electronically
Electronic documents are delivered directly to your Polytechnique email address. The email will include a hyperlink to access the document. However, you must accept the “Conditions of Use” as they are described below to view the document.
Conditions of Use
1. I acknowledge that the digital document on loan (hereafter "the Document") through Polytechnique’s Interlibrary Loan service is protected by the Copyright Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. C-42), and I agree to respect all conditions pertaining to it, in particular:
2. I acknowledge that the Document will be accessible for consultation for a period not exceeding five (5) business days following the date it is first viewed.
3. I agree to use the Document and, if applicable, its print copy (one single copy permitted) for the sole purpose of research or private study, and I acknowledge that any other use may require the authorization of the copyright holder.
4. I acknowledge that infringement of copyright can lead to civil and criminal proceedings.
5. I agree to hold Polytechnique, its officers, administrators, management, representatives, staff and/or assigns, harmless against any action, claim, damage, injury or loss resulting from my use of the Document should it not comply with these conditions, the Copyright Act or any other applicable legislation.
Please note that some organizations prohibit electronic delivery of their documents.
To cancel a request or to renew a loan, please contact us.
Borrowing from local university libraries in person.
Library users can obtain documents that are not available at the Polytechnique Library by using their Polytechnique ID card for campus libraries (Université de Montréal and HEC) and the BCI card for other Canadian university libraries.
Ask for your BCI card at the Polytechnique Library Circulation Desk before presenting yourself at another library.
This is the quickest method to obtain a document. Please consult the Other library catalogues page to find the item you are looking for and determine if it is available.
You can still return the document to Polytechnique Library.