International students

Work permits

Work after graduation

Additional procedural changes were introduced by CIC on December 15, 2012. This page will be updated shortly to reflect them. In the meanwhile, you should refer to CIC website, call CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 or send them an email to

For more information: Activity calendar


International students may work in Canada for up to three years after obtaining a Canadian degree, provided they meet the following conditions:

  • Have successfully completed a program of study (with attestation from the Registrar’s Office confirming that they have met their program requirements);
  • Have a valid study permit. Check the expiry date! If it expires promptly after the end of your studies, you may run into difficulties;
  • Have been a full-time student in a program of study for at least eight consecutive months;
  • Have not been previously issued a Post-Graduation Work Permit following any other program of study;
  • Have applied to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for the work permit (cost: $150 CAD) within 90 days of receiving final grades.



Students do not need a job offer to apply for the program.

Only students whose program lasted at least two years (bachelor’s, master’s or PhD) may obtain an open three-year post-graduation work permit.

DESS students may obtain a work permit, but only for a period no longer than the length of their program.

CIC considers only the months of study that took place in Canada. If a part of the program was completed abroad, CIC does not consider this time in the calculation.

CIC will also take into account the duration of the study program as described in the student’s letter of admission. Students who take longer than expected do not obtain extended work permits, while students who take less time will not be penalized.

Once all the conditions for obtaining the work permit have been met, students should send their applications by mail to:  

for an extension :

Citizenship and Immigration Canada – Study Permits
Case Processing Centre
6212-55th Avenue – Unit 202
Vegreville, Alberta T9C 1X6


for the first-time applicants :

Citizenship and Immigration Canada – Study Permits
Case Processing Centre
6212-55th Avenue – Unit 203
Vegreville, Alberta T9C 1X6 


The completed application must include:

- the application form, duly completed (IMM 1249);

- the document checklist (IMM 5583);

- a photocopy of your passport (check the expiry date: work permits issued may not extend beyond your passport expiry date);

- a photocopy of your study permit (must still be valid at time of application);

- written confirmation (e.g. a transcript or an official letter) from your institution indicating that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program. Such confirmation can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office;

- payment of the $150 fee by credit card or with a receipt (available from the SEP’s reception, C-240).

Plan ahead! Average processing times are from three to four weeks. Interested students are advised to obtain the off-campus work permit while still in school, in order to facilitate the transition from student to worker. This way, you’ll be able to work immediately upon finishing your studies. Consult our website for the date of the next work permit information session.

Students sometimes encounter difficulties when trying to meet certain criteria. If your study permit expires before you receive your final grades, you can receive a 90-day extension. Talk to someone at our Bureau des étudiants étrangers to find out how to proceed.


For more information on the post-graduation work permit, visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada online.

You also need a Social Insurance Number in order to be paid.

For more information on work and internships, consult the Service des stages et de placement (internships and placements service).

It is important to note that, with your post-graduation work permit you will be able to provide you the RAMQ medical coverage.


© École Polytechnique de Montréal
Find Peoble or units | Site plan | Key word search | Conditions(*) this link leads to a section in french.