Polytechnique > International > International students > Authorization to study > Certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ – Certificate of Acceptance)

International students

Authorization to study

Certificat d'acceptation du Québec pour études (Québec Certificate of Acceptance for studies— CAQ)

International students whose study program in Québec lasts more than six months must be authorized by the ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion (MIDI). This authorization takes the form of a CAQ for studies, which is issued for the level of education in question and for a set period. Some students are not required to obtain a CAQ. Consult the exemption list to find out more.

You have two options when applying for your CAQ:


You can apply for a CAQ online using the electronic application form.

We strongly recommend completing your application online.

Applying online allows you to:

  • access a personalized checklist indicating the documents to be included and mailed to complete your application;
  • track the status of your application online;
  • receive notification when a new message has been added to your file;
  • immediately download any correspondence pertaining to your file.

IMPORTANT: Remember the USERNAME and PASSWORD that you chose when you completed your application, since you’ll need them whenever you want to access your file.

To complete the online application, you need an e-mail address and a valid VISA or MasterCard (yours or someone else’s) to pay for the processing fee.


If you are unable to apply online, you must fill in the print version [PDF] of the CAQ application form. We recommend that you fill in the form onscreen, print it out and sign it.

Since the application requires your signature as well as original versions of the supporting documents, it is not recommended that you have someone you know in Canada complete the application for you.

The CAQ application requires certain documents. The list of documents required will vary according to your country of origin.

Click here to find out what documents you need.


While you can apply online for a CAQ, you will still need to send by mail your supporting documents. Scan and save your documents before sending them to the MIDI, as you may use some of them if you apply online for a study permit.


Depending on your nationality, you may be asked to show proof of sufficient financial resources to cover your stay. For more information on the type of proofs and amounts needed, see the MIDI website under Financial capacity.

To find out more about financial assistance, consult our website.

Note that the amount of your tuition is normally indicated on your letter of admission. If you are an exchange student, the immigration authorities will take into account the fact that your tuition is paid in your home educational institution. As a result, tuition fees won’t factor into the calculation of your financial capacity. If you are a French national or have obtained an exemption for your fees, immigration will calculate your fees accordingly, upon presentation of your French passport or confirmation of your exemption.



The fee required to process your application is 109 $CAN from January 1st 2015.
Immigration Québec accepts various methods of payment.



Students who are unaccompanied minors (aged under 18 with no accompanying adult) are required by provincial and federal authorities to have a legal guardian in Québec. If this is the case, you must provide additional documentation to complete your application. Please note that Polytechnique Montréal cannot provide you with a guardian.



Be prepared! The average application processing time is three to four weeks when the application is complete (i.e. MIDI has received your online application AND your paper documentation, and nothing is missing). Note that the timeframe is the same whether you drop off your application in person or mail it. Presence in Canada does not provide preferential treatment. Mailing times must also be factored into the processing period.



  1. The CAQ is issued according to the level (cycle) in which your are studying. Upon receiving the document, verify that the cycle mentioned on it is the right one and that it does not bear any other mistake. The cycle must be the one that is indicated in your letter of admission to Polytechnique. Should you find a mistake on your CAQ, please refer to the section Immigration papers loss or errors
  2. You will have to apply for a new CAQ for studies, pay the processing fees and give all supporting documents each time you change your level of study, for example, if you change from a language school to university, from an undergraduate to a master's program, or from a master's to a PhD. For more information, consult the following page: Renewing your authorizations to study in Québec.
  3. If you have already gotten your CAQ and must defer your admission to Polytechnique Montréal to another trimester, the MIDI requires that you applied for a new CAQ, unless you defer your admission from Fall to Winter trimester. You need to include a letter from the Registrar's Office confirming the deferral, along with all the other supporting documents. You can obtain such a letter by writing to: registraire@polymtl.ca


Applications and/or supporting documents must be sent to the following address:

Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion (MIDI)
Services aux étudiants étrangers
285, rue Notre-Dame Ouest, 4e étage
Montréal, Québec
Canada H2Y 1T8
Tel: 514 864-9191


Useful links


© École Polytechnique de Montréal
Find Peoble or units | Site plan | Key word search | Conditions(*) this link leads to a section in french.