International students

Authorization to study

Caution! On June 1st, 2014, the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation (IRPR) was modified. Application processes for federal immigration documents were changed and new regulations to the authorization of stay of International Students applied. Our website will soon be updated to reflect the changes, but in the meantime, we invite you to visit our temporary page dedicated to these changes.

As a general rule, individuals who are neither Canadian nationals nor permanent residents and who wish to study in Québec must obtain two authorizations: a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec for studies (CAQ) from the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion (MIDI); and a study permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Procedures for obtaining these certificates will vary according to your nationality and length of stay in Canada. Special conditions also apply to family members of foreign representatives accredited to Canada.

ATTENTION: You must have the required authorizations by the start of classes. Note that you may not undertake these procedures from inside Canada.


First-time applicants :

Renewing your authorizations :


© École Polytechnique de Montréal
Find Peoble or units | Site plan | Key word search | Conditions(*) this link leads to a section in french.