International Students

Renewing the Study Permit

IMPORTANT: The procedures found on this website have no official status. Changes may occur at any time without notice. The Law and Regulations of Québec and Canada, as well as the information found on the MICC and CIC Websites prevail over this website.



The study permit (SP) is a document that authorizes the holder to stay in Canada to study until its expiration date. The SP does not allow entry onto the Canadian territory: it is the Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) which allows an alien to proceed to an entry point of the territory. A permit is therefore different from a visa.

All foreign nationals who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada require a SP to study in Canada unless they have a SP exemption.

Your immigration documents (Passport, CAQ, and SP) must all be valid from the first day until the last day of each term you are enrolled as a student at Polytechnique, to meet the Ministère de l’Éducation requirements. Should you be without a valid SP for part of the term, you will be unregistered from the term in question, even if it has already begun or is nearing completion. Be careful, you must act promptly and start the renewal process 6 to 7 months before your documents expire.


The study permit (SP) is a document that authorizes the holder to stay in Canada to study until its expiration date. The SP does not allow entry onto the Canadian territory: it is the Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) which allows an alien to proceed to an entry point of the territory. A permit is therefore different from a visa.

All foreign nationals who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada require a SP to study in Canada unless they have a SP exemption.

Designated learning institution number

Applicants and study permit holders must indicate the Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number on the application forms. The number for Polytechnique Montréal is: O19359011070 (it starts with the letter O followed by 11 numbers).


Generally speaking, the validity of a SP cannot go beyond the expiry date of your Passport, or the expiry date of your CAQ for studies. When one wants to renew or extend the validity period of a SP, one speaks of "extension"(Prorogation in French).

To extend your SP, you must have a valid CAQ for studies for the duration of the extension you are requesting. You must therefore renew your documents in the following order, for each of the expiring documents: 1. Passport 2.CAQ for studies 3. SP (and associated work permits) 4. TRV.

This process should be started 6 to 7 months before the documents expire.

You must absolutely send your SP extension application before the expiration of your SP. However, we strongly advise you against sending the SP extension application shortly before it expires. We recommend that you send your SP extension application 3 to 4 months before it expires. Read the information below on the Implied Status (IS) to understand why.


  • If you are physically in Canada and your SP is to be returned to an address in Canada, you must send your application to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta (CPC-V), either by mail or online.
  • If you are physically outside Canada, you must submit your application by mail or in person at the CVO serving your country of origin or at one of its Visa Application Centers (VAC). Some CVOs do not accept applications in person, and other CVOs require an appointment in person. Check the website of the nearest CVO to find out more about the applicable policy there.

    * Some CVOs allow you to file the application in the VAC located in their region, which verifies that your application is complete and then forwards the CVO for processing. Details will be listed on the website of the CVO.

All of the steps described on this page apply only to applications sent to CPC-V (applicants physically in Canada). If you apply outside of Canada, visit the website of your CVO, heading Visas and Immigration> Studying in Canada, to get the specific instructions.


Note that the processing times at the CPC-V vary greatly from week to week. Our experience shows an average processing time of one month but it may reach 3 months at certain times of the year; these peak periods are not predictable.

The processing time is also different depending on whether you send your application online or by mail. Remember that the time displayed on the website of CIC does not include mailing time. Thus, you should add to the time displayed:

  • Postal return within about 7 days for online applications,
  • approximately 10 days for applications sent by express mail
  • approximately 14 days for applications sent by regular mail


The fee to apply for a Study Permit is 150$.

Payment of the application fee:

  Application submitted by mail Application submitted online
Acceptable methods of payment Online payment Online payment


IMPORTANT: You must always rely on the instructions on the IRCC website for applications to CPC-V. Moreover, the instructions are constantly changing. Always return to the IRCC website to download the latest version of the application form at the time of preparing and sending.


  • If you have remaining compulsory internship in your program, you must include with your application a work permit application for (C32-WP), which is free.

Be aware of to the particular processing times that apply when submitting a joint application SP + WP:

When you send a joint application by mail SP + WP (C32-WP or OCWP or both), it is the processing time for SP mail applications that applies.


To apply for a SP online, you must have an electronic account with the Government of Canada called "Access Key". Once you get the”Access Key”, you must register for MyCIC. Follow the link to access the online application:

We recommend the use of the online application form because it is safer (the risk of losing your electronic file is less likely compared to a paper file sent by surface mail) and it increases your chances of receiving a positive response (since it is almost impossible to skip a question or to forget to attach a required document).

When applying for the SP online with IRCC, you have no documents to send by mail (unlike the CAQ): you just need to scan your documents and upload them to the CIC server when you submit your application.

The creation date of the application in MyCIC and the fee payment date are not taken into account by IRCC to determine if your application can be considered as an extension. When determining your status in Canada, only the submission date (application completed, paid, and sent to IRCC) is taken into account.


We strongly advise you to ask for a Proof of Mailing and a Delivery Confirmation by Canada Post. If your application gets lost, it will serve as proof of your good faith. Moreover, the Proof of Mailing may also be required by the Registrar’s Office to prove that you have retained a legal status in Canada.

The new CIC paper forms use a 2D barcode technology. You must answer all questions on screen, press VALIDATE, print and send all of the pages and all of the barcodes created. The barcodes contain the answers you have entered. Therefore you must revalidate and reprint the entire document if you change any of the answers on the form.

Remember to sign all forms that you send!


Before the day your SP expires, you are supposed either to have sent an application for extension, or to have left Canada.

If you have done neither one nor the other, and you are late sending your application for SP renewal (i.e. on the day the SP expired or at a later date), you are in violation of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, as you have remained on Canadian soil without any legal status. You should immediately come and meet with an international student advisor to at Student Services (C-240) to assess your situation. In some cases, you may be required to leave Polytechnique and Canada immediately.


If you send your application for SP extension before its expiry date, and you have not received any answer from IRCC by the expiration date, your status in Canada becomes an implied status (IS) from the day of the expiration till the day IRCC processes your application and answers to you. An IS extends the permits that were valid on the date you sent your application for extension, on the condition that you do not get out of Canada before having received your new permit. Getting out of Canada automatically cancels an IS. To prove an IS, you must have in hands the expired permit(s) and the proof of submission (by mail or online) of your application for extension.

BEWARE! An implied status is a precarious status. Should your application be refused for whatever reason during the IS period, you will be required to leave Polytechnique, even in the middle of the term. By sending your application for SP extension 3 to 4 months before expiration, you allow IRCC to process your application before your SP expires, which can avoid you the risk of losing your status.


If you have no more legal status, you can apply for a status restoration (SR) within 90 days of the expiration of your previous legal status. During this 90 day period and while you await the processing of your application, you are tolerated on the territory but it does not constitute a legal status: it will not allow you to be enrolled at Polytechnique during this 90 day grace period, nor while you await the processing of your application, which may take several months.

A SP+SR application is the same as a normal SP extension, except that a penalty of $200 is added to the normal processing fee, and it will permanently record in your Immigration File that you acknowledge an infraction to the Immigration Rules.  Severe consequences are possible when a SR is recorded in your file. It may be grounds to refuse any future entry into Canada, or deny any study or work permit, as well as permanent residence. It can sometimes be more prudent to return to your home country and apply for a new SP from outside of Canada and not use the SR option. Come discuss your strategy with Student Services.

To apply for SP + SR, you must use the same forms:

  • with the online option, you must answer YES when asked if you stayed in Canada after your status expires, and explain why;
  • when you use the paper form, you must do the same, and in addition check the Restoration of temporary resident status in the header of the form;
  • in all cases, you should add the supporting documents that justify your situation.