Polytechnique Montréal is one of Canada’s leading engineering schools and engineering faculties and the largest in Québec with regards to its student population and the scope of its research activities with more than 8,000 students and 1,000 employees. Polytechnique Montréal is seeking applicants for two Professor positions in the Department of Civil, Geological and Mining Engineering in the field of Civil Engineering (Transportation or Mobility).
The Department of Civil, Geological and Mining Engineering at Polytechnique Montréal employs 36 professors, and is one of Canada’s research leaders in several fields including transportation planning, seismic engineering, mining waste management, structural engineering, hydraulic engineering and water and wastewater treatment. The Department is home to several research chairs and groups, including MADITUC group (transportation), CREDEAU (water management), the NSERC Industrial Chair in Drinking Water Treatment, the Canada Research Chair in Earthquake Resistance Design and Construction of Steel Structures, the Canada Research Chair on Source Water protection and the Canada Research Chair in Personal Mobility, and the MOBILITÉ Research Chair on the Evaluation and Implementation of Sustainability in Transportation, and the Research Institute on Mines and the Environment – RIME UQAT – Polytechnique and the Canadian International Resources and Development Institute (CIRDI).
The successful candidates will be expected to carry out the basic duties of this position with a dynamic and creative approach. In particular, they will:
- demonstrate a commitment to excellence in teaching at every level;
- supervise undergraduate and graduate students;
- carry out innovative research projects;
- secure grants and research contracts with the aim of training highly qualified personnel through their involvement in research activities, and publishing scientific results;
- collaborate to teaching and research activities of the Transportation Group;
- collaborate with researchers from Polytechnique or other institutions;
- collaborate with government agencies (Ministries, MRCs and municipalities), parastatal institutions and industrial partners.
AREA OF EXPERTISE
The Department is seeking applicants with qualifications and a particular interest in the following areas:
- Geometric road design;
- Multimodal traffic management and regulation;
- Planning and modeling of transit systems;
- Transportation planning;
- Geographic information systems for transportation;
- Information technologies for transportation;
- Econometric modeling of mobility behavior;
- Optimization and simulation of transportation systems;
- Methods of investigation and collection of transportation data;
- Assessment of the environmental and health impacts of transport (pollutant emissions, road safety, physical activity).
These specialties can be addressed by both experimental and numerical approaches.
The applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering and a doctorate (Ph.D.) in Civil Engineering or in a relevant field with a specialization in Transportation. They must be registered with the Ordre des Ingénieurs du Québec as an engineer or a junior engineer, or take the necessary steps to become member before applying for tenure. They must demonstrate excellent skills in research and teaching. Relevant experience in industry or in experimentation would be an asset. Since the teaching language is French, the candidates must demonstrate proficiency in French or the willingness to acquire a working knowledge of French within two years.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
This faculty position is tenure-track. Salary and benefits will be set in accordance with the collective agreement between Polytechnique Montréal and its professors.
Candidates are asked to submit a complete file including:
- a detailed résumé;
- a description of their expertise;
- a description of their teaching and training objectives;
- a description of their research objectives and research program;
- the name and address of three references;
- a copy of their university diplomas;
- some examples of work relevant to the position and three recent scientific contributions;
- evaluations of teaching experience if applicable.
The file must be received no later than November 23, 2017 at 5:00 PM to:
Professor Louise Millette, Eng., Ph.D.
Department of Civil, Geological and Mining Engineering Polytechnique Montréal
P.O. Box 6079, Downtown Station Montréal, Québec H3C 3A7 CANADA
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
The examination of applications will begin as soon as possible and will continue until the position is filled.